In several other blogs (with particular thanks to Jonathan Gunson here, and sites I’ve seen variants of the following guide a book reviewer could use. A good idea, after all I’ve seen reviews of my books range from “Eh?” to ten pages of philosophy all because that reader was inspired by my aliens who totally ignored humans on Earth – in Exit, Pursued by a Bee. All too often reviews on Amazon are mere descriptions of the plot, slightly reworded from the back page blurb. Then we have what are becoming known as the Amazon bullies – people, maybe rival authors or publishers, who write nasty things in an attempt to discredit the author and bring his or her average ratings plummeting down. Luckily, most reviewers are being honest but often don’t know what to look for in a book when writing their review. So here is my helpful guide. So as to be even more helpful I put in italics quotes from reviewers relating to my science fiction and medical mystery novel ARIA: Left Luggage.
- Did you enjoy or dislike the story? “ARIA enthralled me because I know someone who lost their memory slowly, and I could imagine how the characters feel.”
- Was it exciting? “Fast paced with a hook at the end of each chapter. Sorry, Geoff I read it in only two days!”
- Extremely romantic? “I didn’t think Ryder and Teresa were right for each other then along came that hot-blooded Jena. Wow. Not only did she take him off her but the rivalry triggered a whole new ball game – so to speak.”
- Did it hold your attention? “I wasn’t going to read it one go because I had to go out, but I couldn’t stop thinking about what would happen if amnesia really was infectious! What an imagination in this book.” “It asks the important question of life itself – what’s so important to us we have to write it down everyday?”
- Did it provoke emotions? “I hate you Geoff Nelder – I can’t get the scene in the supermarket out of my mind!!!” “More scary than zombies and vampires. How am I going to get to sleep now?
- Did you care about the main character? “Ryder was so-so at first but he grew on me. How did you do that?
- Did you like the writing style? “Inimical style and yet with touches of M R James.”
- Would you recommend it to a friend? “I’m compelled to laud it on my blog.”
Quotes are taken from the various Amazon sites, blogs, Compulsive Reader, SF Signal, Facebook, twitter, SF Crowsnest, Ideas4writers forum, and by such readers, some of whom are excellent writers, as Gladys Hobson, Annette Gibson, Kyle from the Chester SF Book Group, Jon Courtenay Grimwood, Brad Lineweaver.
Geoff’s UK Amazon author page http://www.amazon.co.uk/Geoff-Nelder/e/B002BMB2XY
And for US readers http://www.amazon.com/Geoff-Nelder/e/B002BMB2XY
You tube video trailer http://youtu.be/oh0AAXIe8VU
There are reviews of ARIA on the Goodreads site at http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15784860-aria
It made me laugh to see a 2* review of ARIA: Left Luggage when the moaner said it should warn that the book is aimed at ‘mature’ readers. See it at http://amzn.to/1h4DIaI
On the other hand, I agree with him!